My absolute FAVORITE thing to do now days is cook in my dutch oven!! I have 2, one that is an 8" indoor and one that is a 12" outdoor. And I've been using them both like crazy! I was first inspired to cook in it when we made an amazing stew in Moab and then I came home and found this random mormon dude's blog for dutch oven cooking (www.marksblackpot.com) who has just inspired me further.
Yesterday I tried to make lemon chicken stuff and I can't believe what it turned into! Can I just say that a dutch oven is a magic black pot?? Everything and anything I've put in there has come out tasting like HEAVEN!! It started out by wanting lemon chicken, then I though carrots would be good to. Who doesn't like lemon carrots?? But then I had all these other veggies so I though, WHY NOT?! So I just threw them all in. Usually when I make a pot roast, I put some water in so I did that this time as well. I just started dumping in stuff and I really wasn't sure it would be good at all because it seemed like a weird combination to me.... Anyway. When it was done, I had a wonderful soup in front of me with a big huge chicken breast. I was just going to eat the soup and the chicken separate but Buddy suggested I turn it into chicken noodle soup! So I did! And it was the most amazing chicken noodle soup I've ever had!! So I thought I'd share my very own recipe for chicken noodle soup!
1 c egg noodles
1 big chicken breast
2 potatoes (skinned)
5 carrots
1 celery stick
1/4 onion
water
2 Tlbs lemon juice
3 chicken bullion cubes
parsley (I used fresh)
Liberal shakes of:
lemon pepper
garlic powder
celery salt
salt & pepper
grated parmesan (like the kind you put on spaghetti)
Place chicken breast in dutch oven (I used my 8"). Cut veggies into bite size pieces and place around chicken. Add enough water to cover veggies; add lemon juice and bullion cubes. Add parsley, lemon pepper, garlic powder, celery salt, salt & pepper, and grated parmesan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 2 hours (till chicken is cooked through). Remove from oven. Pull out chicken and cut into cubes; set aside. Bring soup to a boil and add about a cup of egg noodles. Cook the noodles 1-3 minutes less than the recommended time (noodles will finish cooking in the soup). Add chicken and serve!
Yum. I'm going to have to try this. THANKS.
ReplyDelete