Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend 2011

Richie came down of Friday night and at 5:30 Saturday morning, we all went fishing!  We had been wanting to go forever so we finally did it!  We went to Deer Creek Reservoir and I prayed that I would catch a fish because I really wanted to catch one but none of us caught one...


 After fishing, we went and babysat all the little Graden babies so that the adults could go to the temple.  It was an adventure!!  Richie just loved Alan's youngest because she would just sit there on his lap completely content with life!  He tried reading her a book but decided that he hated reading so they just looked at the pictures instead :)

Because Richie broke his leg playing basketball, he was a pretty useless babysitter with the toddlers but he was great with the babies!  He just sat there holding them till they cried and then I would take over.


That night we tried our luck with fishing again.  This time we went to the little pond in Vivian Park and just sat there.  This place was better for Richie because it didn't require hardly any walking and he didn't have to try to climb down a rocky slope to get to the water.


Richie tried his luck with the flies....  It didn't work.


Late that night some young married couple came to fish near us.  The dude had worms!!!  We had been working with power bait all day and had 0 success so we were excited to try worms.  Richie tore a worm in half, and almost threw up doing so, and Buddy my man baited my hook.  I couldn't do it, I couldn't even watch!  Fishing with worms was more fun because the worms would wiggle around and our bobber would move so it seemed more productive.  Well, I actually caught a fish!!!!  It was a tiny sad little guppy who swallowed a worm too big and a three prong hook that was severely stuck.  Buddy did the honors of trying to remove the hook.  It was really gross because the worm was trying to crawl out the whole time....  Eventually we got the hook out and let the fish go.  I told Richie that I prayed to catch a fish and he laughed at me and said "you seriously prayed for that?!"  And I said "YES!!  I really wanted to catch a fish!!"  And obviously prayer worked because I'm the ONLY one that caught a fish!!
  So here is me and my little tiny fish.  You can barely see it :)


 After fishing we were lucky and got back home in time to see some fire works!!  We stood out in the road by the temple as we watched them and the BEST part was the finale.  Not because of the fire works, but because during the finale, a truck happened to drive by with "I'm proud to be an American" blasting from his radio!  It was classic!  And so random!


 On Sunday we played Settlers of Catan.  I won!



 Early on the 4th we went to the Balloon Races!  My whole family was there (minus Amber) and Buddy's mom and her husband came too!  Unfortunately the weather didn't permit the balloons to fly but they still blew a bunch of them up.


We felt like morons as we cooked our breakfast with hundreds of people around but we were definitely the happiest!  We had many jealous on-lookers as we ate eggs, hash browns, and pancakes!



 Then...... my FAVORITE person in the WORLD showed up on a motorcycle!!!  My crazy Uncle Leland!!!  It was AWESOME!


 And we played croquet


Leland has a serious foot problem, my mom just had surgery on her foot, and Richie broke his ankle so we have 3 gimps in the family right now!!


Later we went back to the house and played games!  It was so funny to watch Richie and Leland go at it playing Backgammon.  Richie kept severely beating Leland.  I don't know how many games total they played but they were playing for at least 2-3 hours!  Eventually Leland decided he had enough humiliation for the day and called it quits.


After all the game playing we had a BBQ and I'm so sad because I didn't take any pictures of all the amazing food but it was AWESOME!!!  Best 4th of July EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment