On Monday, I asked my Facebook friends how this 2 year old that I saw at
the park was potty trained. A lot of moms said that it can't be done
before 2 and it's best to wait for the kid to be a little older. But
enough of them said that they trained their kids by age 2 that I want to
do it. Buddy's aunt Ryanne really got me excited about it. She said
that they needed to be out of a crib though which honestly frightened
me. Revin sleeps so so well! And Bruce has been out of a crib for a
while and he is a nightmare sleeper. He constantly terrorizes his
parents in the night and wakes up far too early. I absolutely did NOT
want this to happen to Revin! Since Monday, I've been praying to know
what would be best for him. This is the first time that I've really
sought the Lord's counsel in raising Revin. Everything has been so easy
and straight forward up until now. I feel like taking him out of his
crib is a really big step for him.
This morning I asked my
Facebook friends if I should do it and they all said NO!! Except for
one friend. That one friend gave me the confidence that I needed to do
it. I took the crib bar down and put on a little toddler bar that is
pretty much just a safety railing for half of the bed so now he can get
in and out as he pleases. I also removed every single toy from his room
so that he wouldn't play instead of sleep. After doing that, I took
Revin outside for a walk and as I was walking with him, I felt at
peace. I felt good about my decision to take him out of his crib. It's
still his bed, it's just not a cage anymore. I realized that this was a
wise thing to do now because now he'll get used to staying in his bed
like he's supposed to and he can't open doors yet so he'll stay put.
When the new baby is born, we'll use the pack and play for the baby
until we can get him to sleep through the night. Once he's doing that,
I'll put him into Revin's room and we'll get Revin a twin size bed and
give the crib to the baby. I think Revin would have a harder time going
from a crib to a twin and I don't want to deal with that once the baby
is sleeping though the night. I don't want them waking each other up.
Anyway, I didn't realize any of this and then it was like the Spirit was
like "Dude. This is why. This is a good thing." It was cool.
We
have a trip to Utah at the beginning of May so I'm hoping that Revin
will be completely transitioned to his new sleeping arrangements by then
and then after our trip, I want to start potty training him. He'll be
about 20 months old which I think will be just fine. It's going to be
an exciting, mad, disaster. I'm stoked. Hopefully Revin will be fully
potty trained before the baby comes. And that would be absolutely
FANTASTIC!!!
So nap time today. I had no idea how it was going
to turn out. I felt like I was holding my breath the entire time. I
set my phone up in his room so that I could Facetime it and watch Revin
on Buddy's computer just to make sure things were going well and that he
was actually going to take a nap. Revin has good nap time cues. I
close the curtains and turn on the fan and his primary music. He always
runs away when he hears the music because he knows what's coming! I
think those nap time cues really helped today. I put him in his bed,
and he didn't stay there long. He always cuddles up with his blanket
and plays with it while sucking his thumb and that's how he falls
asleep. He did that for a little while but then he just grabbed his
blanket and went to the door. I went back into his room and told him
that it was nap time and put him back in his bed and left. He did the
same thing again so the next time I went in there, I wedged his blanket
under his mattress so that it was essentially STUCK to his bed. And
THAT did the trick. He stayed in bed after that. For a little bit he
cried at the door but he eventually made his way back to his comfort
item -- his blanket. Quickly after that, he was out. For a good hour
and a half. It was MARVELOUS!!! And SOOOO easy! There really wasn't
any crying or anything. It was a quick smooth process.
Tonight, I
did the same thing. I'm actually watching him on Facetime right now.
He hasn't left his bed ONCE since I put him there!! He's just sucking
his thumb and playing with his blanket! And it's been about a half hour
too. I have no idea when he'll actually fall asleep but I'm quite
confident that he'll go to sleep just like he's supposed to.
I'm
just so glad that the Spirit teaches me what I need to do for my
family. There are so many right and wrong answers and all of my friends
gave such good advice to me, but the Spirit told me that there might be
a better way for my little Revin. This is the first of many lessons
I'll have I'm sure. It's just so neat to me that God knows me so
personally and can guide me the best way as long as I'm listening.
After
today, I mostly wonder why I was so stressed out and freaking out about
it. This has been a very positive experience for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment